Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pauline’s Saturday

“I call for my hate. It does not answer me. I should like it close by if I need it, but this morning it has left me alone, and I cannot remember where it is.” Page 158 Pauline
 Today is Saturday; thank God! Today we worked only till noon! Today I got to eat a proper dinner after the mill; Pork chops and gravy! And today is payday; I couldn’t wait until Daddy counted out my pennies and nickels and dimes. I think we made a little extra money this time around even though I was a sweeper but also Arlene was working this week.

Mama bought some sugar today too. I loved licking the spoons after she made the cake and I hung on to that pan with the crumbs too. We haven’t had sugar for a week at least in our house. I started to really miss the cakes my sister and mama baked.


Arlene and I brought a cake to Miss Harrell’s to celebrate Aaron’s birth and she was much cheerful. I noticed she looked at our feet to tell who was who but we both wore an old shoe of Josh’s. She asked our names which irritated me at first. But now I feel like I am becoming more like my sister, which I like.

Also we went to visit Jimmy and he was learning to split wood with his left hand; it was proving difficult though. Then I don’t know why, but I agreed to help Arlene with milking widow wades cow. I guess it could be fun?

Twenty seven cents shine in the sun as I made my way to the store. I think I am going to buy jacks, but they cost forty cents! I could put the rest of the amount on the books for next payday but then daddy would know. How would I be able to buy the jacks without Daddy knowing I put the rest of the money on the books?

I see Arlene walk up to the counter, and before I could ask why, she said that “we will have the jacks, paid in full.” and she uses her fifteen cents with my twenty seven to buy the silver jackstones and the red ball.

I smile. It’s the small things this week that have brought me closer to my sister. I hope that this won’t change. I am fine with her staying home with the chores to do, because I know how hard it is for her now. And I think she appreciates it when I go to work too.

“I know from the corners of my own mouth and the sight of her face as I smile back at her, we are alike. We are twins.” Page 173

No comments:

Post a Comment