Friday, May 14, 2010

Arlene’s day at the cotton mill

"Guilt nibbles at me as it did over at Miss Harrell’s" page 133 Arlene.

 I work for pay today, but I know our house is growing cold, the lint is collecting, and the dishes are piling up. I feel awful for not getting the chores done before my family came home last night. I should have had supper ready for them but at least they understood. Miss Bertha asked me to help with Frances’s baby. I was there all afternoon and past supper time, cleaning her house and doing the chores and helping with her child Percy and newborn baby Aaron. I hope they didn't worry about me as much as I think they did.

Yesterday I came home from helping Mrs. Harrell bring her baby into the world to my sister whining again. She had some good news though. She thought it would make me furious, going to work for a day to cover for Jimmy. I saw the hate in her eyes and the jealousy. I was secretly dreaming about his moment for my whole life. Maybe I would make some more money when payday comes tomorrow. I long for peppermints.

Peppermints are what I taste on my tongue, making my way through the cold this morning to the mill. I am not last like I thought I would be, Pauline is dragging her foot along behind me in the snow. Last night, it swelled purple and like a balloon. Today, we both wear an old shoe of Josh's.

I see Margaret pass in her faded red dress made from an old chicken feed sack. Most of our dresses are made from feed sacks too.

Working at the mill is sweaty. The bobbins never sleep and the lint never tires hiding amongst spiders and corners. There is so much that you don't even want to look for it, but I do. Because it is my job now.

I usually do not eat with my familly so I was excited about getting out of the sweating heat and cooling down with my mother and sister today. Dinner was careful; Mom shared her biscuit with Margaret’s mom because Henry wasn’t able to make it with the snow covering the road. Then Pauline gave her entire biscuit to Katie and Margaret, -who didn't have a dinner either- hoping to play a game of jacks with them but they took the biscuit and continued with the game by themselves.

I don’t know what came over me because I had nothing to gain, but I took my biscuit, scored it in half and shared it with my sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment